A lot of Christmas goodies are gluten-based, and it can be hard to find treats when you’re intolerant. These mincepies fill the house with the warm cinnamon scent of Christmas – and are egg and gluten free.
You will need;
150g gluten free plain flour
50g ground almonds
125g room temperature butter
1 tablespoon of icing sugar
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
Zest and juice of 2 clementines
50g dried sweetened cranberries
250g gluten free mincemeat
1 tablespoon of milk
1 tablespoon of brown sugar
- Combine the gluten free flour, icing sugar, ground almonds and clementine zest.
- Add the mixture and the butter into a food processor, and pulse until it forms a breadcrumb texture.
- Add 2 tablespoons of cold water, or as much as is needed so that the mixture becomes and smooth ball.
- Wrap this up in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes. You can leave this mix in the fridge for days, until you are ready to make the mincepies. They really are best warm from the oven!
- Roll out the pastry to a 3mm thickness, using a cutter or an upside down glass to cut out circles. Press the circles into a cupcake tray – pricking the base with a fork to avoid the dreaded “soggy bottom”!!
- Combine the clementine juice, cinnamon, and cranberries with the gluten free mincemeat. Most ready-made mincemeat is already seasoned and spiced, but I like to add in some extras!
- Add 1 tablespoon of mincemeat mixture to each pastry case – finishing the top with more pastry. I like to cut out circles and crimp the edges with a fork for a good seal.
- Brush with milk and sprinkle with brown sugar.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes at 180 degrees, until golden brown. Enjoy them warm from the oven!