Making a vegetable the focus of a Christmas meal is a great way to make it healthier. This is an easy dish to make ahead of time, and slow cook without needing to pay it much attention. Equally delicious the next day with cold turkey meat!
You will need;
1 large red cabbage
1 tablespoon of butter
1 tablespoon of cinnamon
2 red onions
The zest and juice of 1 large orange
2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
A splash of red wine or port
- Peel away the outer leaves of the cabbage, and shred the inner leaves, removing any woody core.
- Chop the red onions and grate the apples.
- Melt the butter in the bottom of a large lidded casserole dish, mixing in the cinnamon.
- Add the cabbage, onion and apple to the pan, before splashing over the red wine vinegar, water and port. Stir the ingredients, before covering with the lid.
- Boil for 45 minutes to an hour until the cabbage is softened. This can be left on a low heat for as long as it takes for the rest of your dinner to prepare.